Recipe: Island Seared Sea Scallops
* Find sea scallops at Robért's for $9.99 lb 3/23/16 thru 3/29/16.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1/3 cup Meyers Rum
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 16 large sea scallops, patted dry
- 1/2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 9-ounce bag spinach leaves
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add shallot; stir 30 seconds.
- Add rum. (Rum may ignite.) Boil 30 seconds.
- Add cream; boil 2 minutes.
- Transfer sauce base to bowl. (Sauce base can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.)
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Sprinkle scallops with salt and pepper.
- Heat vegetable oil in another large nonstick skillet over high heat.
- Add 8 scallops. Cook until brown, about 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer to rimmed baking sheet; place in over to keep warm. Repeat with remaining scallops.
- Add coconut milk and thyme to hot skillet. Boil 1 minute, scraping up brown bits.
- Add sauce base; bring to boil. Remove from heat.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and stir 30 seconds.
- Add spinach; toss until barely wilted and still bright green, about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Using tongs, mound spinach in center of 8 plates, dividing equally.
- Arrange 2 scallops on spinach on each plate. Pour any collected juices from baking sheet into sauce in skillet.
- Boil until thickened, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper; spoon over scallops.